Old Goa - A World Heritage site is the prime attraction of Goa apart from the beaches. There would be very few tourists who visit Goa who dont explore old Goa and its churches. Old Goa is located very close to Panaji and the one way street to Old Goa is under 12 kms from Panaji. Old Goa is about 30 kms from Mapusa and Madgaon respectively.
The Churches and Convents at Velha (Old) Goa owe their existence to the Portuguese rule in this part of the western coast of India. The most comprehensive group of churches and cathedrals were built during 16th to 17th century AD at Old Goa. There is a small village around the huge churches and convents. Some of these are still in active use, and others have become museums maintained by the ASI.
Church & Convent of St Cajetan
Modelled on St Peterís church in Rome, this church was built by Italian friars of the Order of Theatines, sent here by Pope Urban VIII to preach Christianity in the kingdom of Golconda
Our Lady of the Rosary
250m further ahead of St Monica the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary is one of the earliest churches in Goa. One can enjoy excellent views of the Mandovi and Divar Island from the church.
Basilica of Bom Jesus
Famous throughout the Roman Catholic world, the imposing Basilica of Bom Jesus contains the tomb and mortal remains of St Francis Xavier founder of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits). Construction on the basilica began in 1594 and was completed in 1605. Basilica of Bom Jesus has an elaborate late - Renaissance structure along with pillars carved from basalt. Basilica of Bom Jesus is the only church in Old Goa which is not plastered on the outside
At over 76m long and 55m wide, Sť Cathedral is the largest church in Asia. Building work of Sť Cathedral commenced in 1562, on the orders of King Dom Sebastiao, to replace the older church of St Catherine. It was completed 90 years later!